1st August 2023 UK Government announces indefinite extension to CE marking > Read More...
WE ARE NOW RECRUITING - Visit our VACANCIES page for more information.

Can I sell my product as a doll for adult collectors rather than a soft toy? Open


There is exclusion in the Toy Safety Directive for “dolls for adult collectors” which means that they do not have to be CE and/ UKCA marked as a toy. The exact wording is “Products for collectors, provided that the product or its packaging bears a visible and legible indication that it is intended for collectors of 14 years of age and above. Examples of this category are: (c) folk dolls and decorative dolls and other similar articles;”. There is some useful guidance to help;
https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/5845/attachments/1/translations, https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/13253/attachments/1/translations.

However, I would only ever suggest that people go down this route if they are making “memory” or “keepsake” items, such as bears made from a baby’s first baby grow or similar, where meeting the requirements of EN 71-3 will not be possible.

If you decide to market your items in this way you should have a written justification for the decisions you have taken. I would always recommend that you ensure the item meets as many of the toy safety requirements as possible, even if you then choose not to CE and/ UKCA mark them. This will show that you have thought the process through and have tried your best to make the item safe, rather than just choosing the easy option of not CE and/ UKCA marking an item that perhaps should be.

In the case of memory bears or similar keepsake items where the customer provides the material, it may also be worth having a written confirmation stating that while you will ensure the item meets the toy safety requirements as far as possible, it is not possible to ensure it meets the requirements of EN 71-3. This would not necessarily give you any greater level of legal protection, but again it shows that you have gone through the process diligently and have done as much as you can.

Last updated: 2021-07-05 15:16

Posted 2 years agoby Ilonapie
#341581 viewsEdited 1 year ago

You must be logged in to post an answer

Introduction to CE and UKCA Marking your Products

This course will guide you through the complete CE marking process, from design considerations and finding the right standards to completing all the necessary documentation.

Read more …

CE and UKCA Marking Machinery & Industrial Equipment

This course will give you an understanding of how to carry out machinery assessments, including finding and applying the relevant standards, and the documentation that must be provided.

Read more …

Machinery Risk Assessment Training

This course explains the role of standards in the risk assessment process, to enable designers and project managers to carry out the risk assessment in the most efficient way.

Read more …

Pressure Equipment Directive Training Course

This course provides an overview of the Pressure Equipment Directive, where you will learn who should take responsibility, how to find and apply standards, what documentation you need to produce.

Read more …

ATEX Compliance & Risk Assessment Course

This course will take you through the CE and Ex marking process in detail. You will gain an understanding of the requirements, including the various options for ensuring equipment is safe.

Read more …

CE & UKCA Marking Electrical Equipment Training Course

This course will explain who is responsible for CE marking, and what should be done to carry out the process correctly, as well as looking into the directives and standards involved.

Read more …

How Can We Help You?

Ask a question, or request a callback.
Please type your full name.

Invalid email address.

Invalid Input

Test description

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Please make a selection

Invalid Input

Invalid Input