sector auto wide

The automotive industry relies heavily on mechanical and electrical products and systems, machinery and software. Work equipment and environmental safety also have a high priority. A raft of general compliance measures applies for manufacturers and suppliers, as well as regulations specific to the auto industry such as UNECE Regulation 10 dealing with automotive electromagnetic compatibility.
Our experienced engineers can guide you through the process for CE marking anything from a single component to a complete production line.

  • Free initial consultation to assess your requirements and plan the CE marking of your product.

  • Identify the directives and standards which apply to your product.
  • Conduct a design review to verify compliance with the applicable requirements.
  • Provide you with a report outlining areas of non-compliance and advice to help you rectify them.
  • Help to compile a technical file which contains the information required by the directives.
  • Provide a draft Declaration of Conformity and help you complete it.
  • Offer follow up advice when you need it.

Our recent industry experience includes:

  • Engine preparation conveyor system
  • Seat preparation & Install line
  • Press lines
  • Electrical test systems
  • Bulk fluid distribution system
  • Headlamp alignment system
  • Engine test cell
  • Welding jigs for earth moving machinery

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to CE Mark my product?

Potentially, any piece of equipment with powered moving parts will need to be CE marked under the Machinery Directive. Our free initial consultation will confirm which directives apply to your products.

How do I know if my product complies?

In most cases the best way to judge whether or not a machine complies with the Directive is to check it against the relevant Harmonised standards. We can perform an assessment of the machinery for you, or we can provide you with checklists and other resources so you can do your own assessment.

What do I do if there aren't any standards for my product?

There are many thousands of standards, some of which are for specific types of machine but others which are for general machinery safety or give guidance on how to deal with particular hazards or common machine features. There will always be some standards which can be applied. We will help you to identify which are the best ones to use.

What do I need to do if my product does not comply with the standards?

Usually, the best thing to do is to modify the machinery to make it comply but there are some circumstances where you can ignore the content of the standards and focus solely on the Essential Requirements of the Directive. We will advise which approach is best for your circumstances

Does a small lift (or similar device) mounted on a vehicle dictate that the AEMC Directive must be applied as well as/instead of the EMC directive?

If there is an automatic interlock which immobilises the lift when the vehicle is moving (for example, if the power to the lift is cut-off when the vehicle park brake is taken off) then the Automotive EMC requirements do not apply and the lift should be CE marked under the EMC Directive.

If there is no such interlock, or if the interlock is not automatic so that the driver could forget to use it, then the Automotive EMC Directive applies and the lift will need to be type tested.

Can I sell halogen headlight bulbs without an E mark?

No. The Vehicle Certification Agency requires halogen headlight bulbs used on vehicles to carry the E mark approval.

Further information regarding the Automotive Electromagnetic Compatability Directive can be found on our website.

Further information on the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) can be found at the following address;

If I import HID / Xenon kits (consists of Bulb, Ballast, but to be used with vehicles existing headlight), will they need to be E-marked? or CE approved? They are manufactured in an ISO approved factory in the far east. If I require those approvals (CE and E-mark), how can I obtain them?

The lamps should be E marked and carry VCA Vehicle approval. You should not need to CE mark the equipment.

The process would be as follows;

- Test the lamps to ensure they meet the luminescence requirements,
- Submit the technical documents to the approval authority,
- Undergo factory inspections to ensure the on going compliance of the lamps.

You can find the answers to many more CE marking questions in our knowledgebase.

Other relevant products and services we offer

Online shop 

Our shop allows you to purchase a range of useful resources such as self-certification packs, checklists and declaration formats. 

Prepaid Consultancy 

You can purchase consultancy from our online shop in blocks of 30 or 60 minutes to provide quick help when you need it.


Our machinery training covers the requirements of the Machinery Directive and how to ensure your machinery complies. We also do more basic 'introduction to CE marking' courses. 

Design assistance 

We can assist with interpreting the requirements of the directives and standards and applying them to your products. We can also draft instruction manuals, check the content of product labels, data plates, and packaging.

Technical files 

If you are unsure what technical documentation you need to show compliance with the Directives we can provide contents lists and formats for compiling and storing the information.

Self-assessment materials 

You will find checklists and formats for risk assessment in our online shop. We have many other checklists and report formats which are not in the shop - please contact us if you are looking for something specific and can't find it.

On-site inspection/assessment 

We will visit your works to inspect and assess your machinery and identify any areas which do not comply with the applicable directives and standards.

Self certification guides 

We provide guides which identify the applicable directives and standards for your product and all the other information you will need to do your own assessments. Every guide is tailored to your specific requirements and includes detailed information on how to do the assessment, checklists and formats for recording the results and a draft of the Declaration of Conformity you will need to sign when the process is complete. 

Control system analysis 

Analysis of the reliability of controls (e.g. emergency stops and guard interlocks) can be complex and difficult, particularly where there are significant numbers of safety-related control functions. Our machinery experts are experienced in conducting functional analysis of machines and systems and can help you navigate complex standards such as EN ISO 13849 and EN 62061 which apply to machinery. 

DocEUpoint: Technical file contact point 

Manufacturers are required to identify an address within Europe from which the enforcement authorities can obtain a copy of the technical file for the product. For clients based outside the EU, our DocEUpoint service — which allows you to use our name and address on your declaration of conformity — is a cost-effective and efficient way to meet this requirement.

How Can We Help You?

Page Contact form

Ask a question, or request a callback.
Please type your full name.

Invalid email address.

Your question
Invalid Input

Test description

Please enter your phone number with area code
Invalid Input

Company name
Invalid Input

How did you hear about us?(*)
Please make a selection

If other, please let us know here
Invalid Input

If you do not wish to receive Conformance News Letters please check this box. (Privacy Policy)
Invalid Input

Conformance is Trading Globally

colour map4

Conformance Offices

Head Office

Great Hucklow
SK17 8RG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1298 873800
Fax: +44 (0)1298 873801
E-mail: cemark[at]


2 Lodge Cottages
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1298 873815

Go To Top