Do “taggie” blankets need CE marking?

There is some debate as to whether these type of blankets (with tactile ribbons sewn on around the edges which the child can use as a comforter or diversion) are toys or not. Normal blankets would not need CE marking and/ UKCA marking, but there is an argument that the addition of ribbons and similar gives the blanket play value.

Different trading standard areas have different views on this too – it is therefore safer to assume that the item is a toy and CE Mark and/ UKCA mark it accordingly.

The most appropriate requirements to use are those for soft toys, although some of the tests would not apply. Our Self-Certification Pack for Handmade Soft Toys will be suitable.

Bear in mind that “Taggie” is a trademarked name, so you should avoid using it in your marketing material.

Last updated: 2021-07-05 15:13

Posted 11 months agoby Ilonapie

Upcoming Training Courses

CE and UKCA Marking Machinery and Industrial Equipment

Wednesday 15th June - Great Hucklow

£299.00 + VAT (Half day)


Machinery Risk Assessment

Thursday 16th June - Online

£299.00 + VAT (Half Day)


ATEX Compliance and Risk Assessment

Thursday 23th June - Online

£299.00 + VAT (Half Day)

How Can We Help You?

Page Contact form

Ask a question, or request a callback.
Please type your full name.

Invalid email address.

Invalid Input

Test description

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Please make a selection

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Conformance is Trading Globally

colour map4

Conformance Offices

Head Office

Great Hucklow
SK17 8RG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1298 873800
Fax: +44 (0)1298 873801
E-mail: cemark[at]

Go To Top