6. It’s always the manufacturer’s responsibility
- It is always the manufacturer’s responsibility to ensure that the products have been CE marked properly
- The manufacturer is considered the person whose name appears on the product
- If they are not within the EEA then the importer becomes legally responsible
- In practice, it is very difficult to complete the CE marking process properly without involvement of the original manufacturer
- Activities can be subcontracted, duties cannot. Even if manufacturers sub-contract product testing, they still remain liable for the CE marking.