Local authority department.
The local authority department had identified a mains product with an external USB connection as not complying with the CE marking and documentation requirements. We were asked to produce a risk assessment using the RAPEX guidelines.
Rapex Guidelines, EN 60950-1, Low Voltage Directive
What we did:
1. Reviewed the product and documentation against the CE marking requirements and also the Low Voltage Directive using EN 60950-1.
2. Inspected product to review the insulation between the mains voltage and a user as it was suspected it was not providing adequate user protection and this was the main hazardous issue identified.
3. Produced a Risk Assessment using the RAPEX guidelines.
4. Advised how safety of the product could be improved.
What the customer did:
Used this information to speak with the importer of the product.
1. The customer was able to discuss with the importer with a third party report showing the product safety issues identified.
2. We believe the product was withdrawn from the marketplace.